I really love to talk to people and customers. One thing, I really work hard on is consulting less by giving answers, solutions or advice and instead leading with questions. Worthy read is the book from Michael Bungay Stanier about Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever that really helped me out.
Short overview about his most important questions:
- The kickstart question: What’s on your mind?
- The AWE question: and what else?
- The focus question: What’s the real challenge here for you?
- The foundation question: What do you want?
- The laser question: How can I help?
- The strategic question: If you’re saying Yes to this, what are you saying No to?
- The learning question: What was most useful for you?
What questions are you using? How do you deal with your inner consulting monster? Feel free to share some words.
Have a happy and healthy day!